Wednesday 25 December 2013

2013: A Year in Pictures, April - June

2013-05-27 London Wetland Centre 020

2013-05-27 London Wetland Centre 016It is only fair to start this blog with new life in the world of the Canada Geese (Branta Canadensis), since my last blog showed a dead one. The circle of life is best shown in these three months of the year. The temperature rises and many animals prepare for the next generation. By nesting, such as the two Great-crested Grebes (Podiceps Cristatus) on the left.

In this period, I started to take pictures of some small birds, which is not very easy. They hop from branch to next tree and with all the new leaves growing rapidly, there is always a missed opportunity.

Here is my 2013 overview of the second semester.

 

 

 

April

2013-04-20 Croxley Common Moor 002April this year was definitely the month of the small birds. I hadn’t paid much attention to them, since I was always taking pictures of ducks or butterflies. But that changed dramatically after I had some decent shots of finches, robins and tits…as I hope these examples show.

2013-04-29 Copse Wood 003

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

May

2013-05-05 Copse Wood 009

It is always a wonderful surprise if you see the first butterfly and May 2013 was no exception. Bute there were more pleasant surprises, as the pictures of the Edible Frog (Pelophylax kl. Esculentus) and the Long-tailed Tit (Aegithalos Caudatus) below show.

2013-05-27 London Wetland Centre 012 2013-05-12 Croxley Common Moor 005

June

2013-06-21 Kew Gardens 008In June there is already enough nectar for the (bumble) bees and butterflies to harvest. I did blog about that but it was in June as well that I had my first decent shot of a flying bumblebee. That required some patience, but the result was quite satisfactory.

I will end this blog with another first: A Greenshank (Tringa Nebularia) and a Redshank (Tringa Totanus)  together.

In my next blog the summer has arrived.

Until then: Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

 

 

 

2012-06-02 London Wetland Centre 020

No comments:

Post a Comment