Sunday 6 July 2014

New Life and New Venues

2014-07-06 Summer Visitors 002

This afternoon I saw a juvenile Blackbird (Turdus merula) on the garden fence. It was the last of a series of pictures I took last week of all kinds of phases leading towards new life in nature. But of course there was so much more to see as well! Always nice to have a week off…with some splendid weather! Here are some pictures.

2014-07-01 London Wetland Centre 009The Tufted Ducks (Aythya fuligula) in the London Wetland Centre had, as always, many ducklings to parade before my camera, although this mum only showed one of them.

I can remember having seen more than 10 in one nest a couple of years ago. There were some more elsewhere…

2014-07-01 London Wetland Centre 011

 

2014-07-01 London Wetland Centre 012The Blue Emperor Dragonfly (Anax imperator) was ovipositoning in another part of the Wetland Centre and this gave ample opportunity to take some decent pictures.

Later in the week I saw two Common Blue damselflies in a phase of procreation earlier.

2014-07-04 Broadwater Lake 005

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The amount of dragon- and damselflies this year is fantastic and this will go on for quite some time! A true joy for the camera, that’s for sure!

It is only a bit frustrating that they are such skilful aviators, because it is hard to get them on camera.

 

2014-07-03 Dagenham Chase 008I found a new and beautiful park in London: The Dagenham Chase, in the Barking area. The habitat varies from wetland to grassland with some open ponds as well. A true paradise in the middle of London.

Some Common Terns (Sterna hirundo) were flying over one of the ponds and this shot was the best I could make. They are so quick in the air…2014-07-03 Dagenham Chase 003

Thankfully a Black-tailed Skimmer (Orthetrum cancellatum) was kind enough to sit down for a while. I have seen them more this year than any other time. And although Dagenham Chase was a new venue for me, there were of course some old classics: the Greylag Goose (Anser anser) and the Great-crested Grebe (Podiceps cristatus).

2014-07-03 Dagenham Chase 005 2014-07-03 Dagenham Chase 007

I will end this blog with a picture of a butterfly that I haven’t seen for a while: the Red Admiral (Vanessa atalanta). They are around, just not where I was. I saw this one at Broadwater Lake, near Harefield.

2014-07-04 Broadwater Lake 009

No comments:

Post a Comment