Sunday 6 November 2011

Gadwall (The unknown duck)

On a quiet November morning  I went to the Ruislip Lido, to see if there were any interesting pictures to make. Normally you will find a lot of Mute Swans, Canada Geese and (common) Mallard Ducks on the Lido. And of course many Herring Gulls flying over them making a lot of noise. Even the Great Crested Grebe can be seen every now and then, although I do not know if there is enough fish in the pond.


Almost a dozen Gadwalls trying to get away from my camera. MAE©2011
So I was pleasantly surprised to see a handful of Gadwalls in one of the inlets amongst some geese. I had not seen them at the Lido before and I only recently came to know them from a visit to the  London Wetland Centre. Unfortunately, the Gadwalls notice me before I noticed them and the moment I came around, they swam quickly towards the open lake. I tested this many times, but despite my perceived subtle approach, they were not to be fooled. It took some attempts to get a better picture but it was worth the effort.


Gadwalls at the London Wetland Centre. MAE©2011
Gadwalls are less known than their cousin the Mallard and they can be seen throughout the year. For a duck their colours may be simple, but very beautiful nevertheless. They are called Krakeend in Dutch and the Latin name is Anas Strepera. The male has a black bill and greyish-black patterned feathers with a distinctive white feather at his flank. The female has a very distinctive yellow-orange bill and has a similar feather pattern as the female Mallard. Both sexes have a horizontal black "mascara" stripe around their eyes. 


Finding the Gadwall made a nice change from the ordinary. I do hope they are not so shy next time I see them.

No comments:

Post a Comment