Saturday 19 November 2011

A Magical Day

Canada Geese grooming. MAE©2011
Today was just a Saturday like any other...or so it seemed. The weather forecast stated cloudy at the start but brightening up later in the day. Just another November morning. But things were about to happen.


For starters, all public transport was running on schedule and I did not have to wait more than five minutes with every change I made. So when I finally reached London Wetland Centre at Barnes, the odds were already in my favour. As always, my first stop was the Dulverton Hide. It was quite crowded and I had to fight for a spot at one of the windows. But the first view was of a flock of Canada Geese grooming themselves for the day. You have to look good if so many people come and watch you. I am not a big fan of these geese, but the view was magical. Their Autumn colours fit well against the background of the main lake.


Touchdown! MAE©2011
Next I had a lucky shot of a Herring Gull landing in the water. Although I will admit I waited a little bit for this moment to be right. But then again, I was in no hurry. It is always amazing to see them fly and land. They are so graceful in their movements. They compensate it though with their ugly, shrieking voice.






The icing on the magical cake today must have been the group of Teals that was taking a nap. They were enjoying the warm and were totally relaxed on the banks of the little inlet. Earlier I already took a picture of just one indecisive male Teal. All in all a magical day with some magical birds to be seen.
Teals taking a nap. MAE©2011

No comments:

Post a Comment