Sunday 6 November 2011

Wigeon (The mystical duck)

For whatever reason I have been hoping to see a Wigeon. This stems from the moment I heard about them and maybe also because their Dutch name is so funny: Smient. By the way, the Latin name is Anas Penelope. Reading about this duck, I learned that it is a migrating duck, who travels in the Autumn from Scandinavia to the more moderate winters of Northwest Europe.


My first sighting of some Wigeons. MAE©2011
Therefore I was very excited when the website of London Wetland Centre announced that a handful of these ducks where spotted at their Main Lake. Without further ado, I went and started the chase.


The lake was very smooth and it didn't take long before I spotted them standing in one of the hides. Unfortunately, a close-up shot was not possible, since they kept themselves to themselves at a considerable distance.


Wigeons, especially the male, are very recognizable because they are small and compact and they have a light brown stripe from front to back on their head. Their bill is small and blueish. Their feathers are predominantly (golden) brown.


They do not dive for food but graze like geese on the dry banks.


A very funny but beautiful looking duck that deserves to be noted, although to me they will always remain quite mystical.


Lovely colours. MAE©2011

No comments:

Post a Comment